We turned 5 in early February and Melanie and I have been so busy, that we totally missed it (but we’ll still happily accept birthday presents)! As we look forward to yet another fabulous exhibition opening in the gallery today, I thought it was time to take a few minutes and reflect on the last five years and where we’ve come from. We’re usually caught up in doing our best to make the gallery and our client’s experience (both artists and retail customers) better, that we sometimes forget how much we’ve achieved.
Melanie and I started in a rather small space which had a split personality between retail and exhibition space, showcasing just our own work, where we both had to remain on strict diets to enable us to have enough room to slide past each other into the back of the workshop….but now, we
– have doubled in size and are the only gallery n NSW specialising exclusively in contemporary jewellery
– have held more than 50 exhibitions in the gallery, hosted various artist talks, and held creative workshops
– have learnt something new every day on how to run a small business
– have built an international reputation
– had a baby (well, Melanie has)!
– expanded the retail aspect of the studio to now represent over 50 Australian and international artists
– and have managed to survive the GFC (please, we don’t want to hear that word again) and are looking forward to a great year ahead.
We’ve been blessed to have the wonderful support of many contemporary jewellery artists and collectors, and the mentorship of some very special people (you know who you are) over the last 5 years. Without this support we just wouldn’t be here.
We’re very excited about 2013 and privileged to be exhibiting artists of the calibre of Melinda Young, Sean O’Connell and Julie Blyfield this year….just to name a few! We installed a brand new internally lit cabinet in the retail section of the gallery towards the end of last year and are looking at launching a studio wedding range later this year.
We love walking down the corridor of 2Danks in the morning and every day we feel privileged to open the doors of our gallery and continue our role in supporting and increasing the profile of contemporary jewellery.
Hip, hip hooray!